Struggling home through the wind and rain makes this time of year seem very bleak. However once inside, there is nothing better than lighting a few scented candles and flopping on your sofa whilst enjoying your favourite restorative beverage. Their delicate light, welcoming flame and subtle aroma brings a little burst of pleasure into the sitting room whilst the thoughts of the horrid weather retreat into the far corners of your mind till morning.
Candles have such a wide range of uses; integral parts of worship ceremonies like Diwali form the centre piece on a dining table; they fill the air with mood-enhancing aromas; even the years are denoted by the number of candles on a birthday cake. Of course, if the power goes out, candles may become an alternative to electric lights.
These elegant mainstays of the interior designer’s decorative arsenal are also a cost effective way to ensure a house feels instantly more appealing. Minimalist sculptures, elegant chandeliers, hurricane lanterns or simple tea lights, their beauty and simplicity are almost ageless. There are plenty of styles to choose from, which will match your home perfectly and they make ideal, inexpensive gifts too. You will find some stunning designs at https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/ or for the more budget conscious, you can buy glass candle saucers from as little as 45p each from Ikea.
With Halloween being just around the corner, why not carve a pumpkin and pop a candle inside for the ghoulish effect. As messy as it is to do, it is a lot of fun whatever your age.
At Purely Shutters, your safety is important to us, so please heed these tips:
- Always put candles on a stable surface away from anything that might make them fall or that could burn.
- Make sure the holder is fireproof (believe it or not, some aren’t!)
- The holder should be big enough to contain any dripping wax and sturdy enough not to tip.
- Keep wicks trimmed to 5 to 7 mm (1/4 inch)
- Use a snuffer to put them out.
- Above all, never fall asleep when candles are burning and make sure an attentive adult is in charge.
Why not close your window shutters against the world and enjoy a tranquil peaceful evening.