Offer! Up to 25% off when you request a survey by
The top 10 features which will sell your home
If you’re trying to sell your house, naturally, you want to be able to do this as quickly as possible. One of the best ways to do this is to make your home as appealing as possible to as many potential buyers as you can.
The good news is that with a little bit of help from GoCompare Mortgages who surveyed 2,000 Brits about what their top property must-haves are, you can do exactly this.
- Central heating and double glazing– 79% of those questioned said that central heating is their top priority when looking for a new home and 74% said double glazing. With these factors taking up the top two spaces, it’s clear that warmth and energy efficiency are incredibly important to buyers.
- A garden (71%)
- Secure doors and windows (70%) – it’s obvious that we’re going to want to feel safe in our homes and that our belongings are protected when we’re not there. If you’re looking for an extra way to offer added security in your home while improving its overall look, plantation window shutters are a fantastic solution. Not only do they provide an extra security barrier for your windows, they look fantastic, give added privacy and even help to keep your home warm during the winter months.
- Off road parking (58%)
- A bath tub (57%). Kitchens and bathrooms have always been known to sell houses and while kitchens may not have got a mention in the top 20, bathrooms feature several times on our must-haves. As well as a bath tub, 47% of people want a separate shower cubicle, 45% want at least two toilets and 35% would like an en-suite bathroom.
- Local shops and amenities (55%). More people would rather be closer to local shops and amenities than have a landline telephone, a garage or period features. Spokesman from GoCompare, Matt Sanders commented:
“It’s clear that today’s potential homebuyers are putting practical concerns ahead of aesthetics. They are looking for warm, cosy properties which are energy efficient and well connected to modern amenities rather than ones that are full of character.”
- Friendly neighbours (54%)
- A good, reliable broadband connection (53%). Technology has of course become a huge part of modern-day living and most of us would be lost without our smartphone or favourite television series. It therefore comes as no surprise that technology takes up a number of our property must-haves.
53% of us want a good, reliable broadband connection which allows us to stream films and TV shows. 49% of us want a good TV signal, 44% want a reliable and clear mobile phone signal and 39% want a living room which is big enough to house a large, flat screen TV.
A survey carried out by broadband provider Hyperoptic last year found that homebuyers will happily pay an extra 11% for a property they know has a connection of 100Mbps or more. Based on the current average price of a house in the UK, this is the equivalent of an extra £23,000. What’s more, approximately 60% of people say that a good broadband connection is equal to or more important than nice neighbours or having a garden. Half say that it’s more important than local transport links and having good restaurants, a gym or a swimming pool nearby.
- A good energy efficiency rating (50%)