Offer! Up to 25% off when you request a survey by
What’s the best type of window dressing for my kitchen?
Deciding how to dress your kitchen window can be tricky because there are so many different factors to consider. You need something that can withstand high temperatures and moist environments while still looking stylish.
Below we have covered the most popular kitchen window dressings and the pros and cons of each.
Curtains are a popular choice in many households but you don’t tend to see them so often in kitchens.
There’s an endless supply of curtain designs so you’re guaranteed to find something to suit your preferred taste.
- While you’re likely to want a thicker curtain in your lounge and bedroom, you can get curtains made from a much thinner material which may be better suited to the kitchen.
- They’re easy to open and close.
Food smells and grease from cooking stick to curtains. Not only can this make them look old very quickly, bad smells may linger as well. (https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/house-home/home-hacks/9-tips-for-getting-rid-of-cooking-smells-11364102782467)
- They’re difficult to take down and clean.
Blinds are more commonly seen in kitchens and typically, they’re much more suited to this area of the house than curtains are.
You don’t have to take them down to wipe them clean.
- Because they’re not made from fabric, food smells are less likely to cling to them.
- You can have the blinds down while still allowing natural light to enter the room.
They rattle in the wind. Some people might find this quite annoying, especially if you tend to eat in the kitchen or spend a lot of time in there.
- Because blinds are quite flimsy, it can be difficult to clean in between each individual slat. In time, this might lead to a build-up of grease and dust.
window shutters are the perfect dressing for your kitchen windows and below are just a few reasons why.
They are very easy to wipe clean which is perfect for the kitchen.
- You can adjust the slats to stop direct sunlight coming into the room while still allowing enough light to filter through so you don’t need to turn the lights on.
- They offer complete privacy which means you don’t have to worry about passers-by seeing into your kitchen.
- They’re incredibly stylish and will suit absolutely any kitchen. Read more here: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home-products/a19136/top-window-treatments/
- They offer increased security for your home.
- Shutters are of course more expensive than blinds or curtains. While they are an investment, they do provide many benefits and can even add value to your home.
If you’re not keen on window dressings or your simply fancy doing something a bit different with your kitchen, frosted glass may be a solution for you
- They give you the privacy you need while still allowing natural light to come into the room.
- It can make a good alternative if you have a small kitchen and therefore don’t want to have to worry about your window dressing taking up space.
- You don’t have to worry about cleaning it the way you would a window dressing.
- Your windows might look quite plain and boring.
- You won’t ever be able to see outside your kitchen window.