January Sale! Save up to 25% off fitted shutters - ends 31st January
Homemade Christmas craft ideas
The winter chill is definitely upon us but with the fire on and the Christmas decorations up, there’s no better time to wrap up warm and stay inside. If you’re looking for ways to pass the time while hiding from the cold, why not turn up the thermostat, close those shutters and create some beautiful, homemade Christmas crafts?
If you’re looking for a unique way to decorate your tree this year, why not make your very own ornaments? Some great ideas include:
- Fill light bulb ornaments with your very own snow scene – all you need is the ornaments, white glitter, mini bottle brush trees, some twine to hang your decorations and a hot glue gun.
- Photo ornaments – relive your favourite memories every time you look at your tree by cutting your photos into circles and applying them to a sturdy surface such as wood, plastic or thick card.
- Snowflakes – use twigs, pine needles and yarn to make rustic snowflakes.
- Wine cork reindeers – put your corks to good use and make some cute reindeer decorations to hang on your tree. Simply use glue to stick on eyes and the nose and use craft pipe cleaners for the antlers.
- Sleds – if you still can’t resist an ice lolly even though it’s freezing cold outside, put the sticks to good use and make your very own simple sleds: https://www.serendipityrefined.com/2014/11/simple-popsicle-stick-sled-ornament-day.html
You can make your Christmas cards especially personalised this year by creating your own. Simply get some good quality card, a glue gun and then everything from glitter and stickers to felt and decorative bells.
Table place decorations
If you have the family coming around for Christmas this year, why not make some festive table decorations? From name cards and seat covers to napkin holders and placemats, you can make the table look as festive as Santa’s grotto.
If you’re a dab hand at Christmas crafts, you probably don’t want to keep your beautiful creations behind closed doors. Let the world see your masterpiece and make your very own wreath to hang on the front door. Follow the link to find out how: www.marthastewart.com/276349/how-to-make-a-wreath
If you’re worried passers-by might like it so much they’ll run off with it, wreaths also look great hanging up in windows.
The ultimate Christmas craft idea has to be making your own jumper. Simply buy a jumper and then add as much or as little to it as you like. Don’t forget to wear it loud and proud for Christmas Jumper Day on the 15th of December in aid of Save the Children.
Children’s craft ideas
Christmas crafts are a great way to keep the children entertained while they’re off from school. Some great ideas include:
- Making a plate for Santa’s cookie.
- Who doesn’t love stealing the chocolates off the Christmas tree? Make your own chocolate Christmas tree decorations and see how long they last.
- Get an old pair of mittens and add some decorations to create some festive mittens.
- Personalise your own stockings.
- Make paper snowflakes and decorate the house with them.
- Use window stencils to create a festive scene for all the neighbours to see.
Happy crafting and Merry Christmas!